City of Burnaby calls for arms embargo on Israel

City of Burnaby calls for arms embargo on Israel

Burnaby became the first city in Canada to call for a full and immediate arms embargo on Israel Tuesday.

City council unanimously voted to pass the motion, Advocating for Canada’s Role: Peace for the Palestinian People, which calls on Mayor Mike Hurley to advocate for establishing a “full two-way arms embargo with Israel and transform the Gaza temporary resident visa (TRV) program to support the safe reunification of Gazan-Canadian families.”

Hurley is expected to write his call in a letter to the federal government. Meanwhile, the motion also compels the City of Burnaby to become a signatory of the Apartheid-Free Communities Pledge.

The motion, authored by Coun. Alison Gu, says “there are thousands of concerned Burnaby residents who are horrified as they watch these crimes against humanity unfold in real time” in Israel’s war on Gaza.

“The pledge affirms Burnaby City Council’s commitment to freedom, justice, and equality for the Palestinian people and all people, opposes all forms of racism, bigotry, discrimination, and oppression; declares ourselves an Apartheid-free community; and pledges to join others in working to end all support to Israel’s Apartheid regime, settler colonialism, and military occupation,” Gu’s motion reads.

Burnaby resident Harsha Walia says the move is an incredibly important first step. She says Burnaby residents care about what is happening in Palestine and are committed to justice.

“The City of Burnaby has set a very important precedent,” said Walia.

Earlier this month, the Integrated Food Security Phase Classification, or IPC, said that famine was occurring in Gaza City, and is likely to spread to the southern cities of Khan Younis and Deir al-Balah without a ceasefire and an end to restrictions on humanitarian aid.

Pope Leo XIV demanded Wednesday that Israel stop the “collective punishment” and forced displacement of Palestinians in Gaza as he pleaded for an immediate and permanent ceasefire in the besieged territory amid preparations by Israel for a new military offensive.

source & photo: CityNews

administrator

Related Articles